Friday, May 23, 2008

The PB Blues - Dreams of Past Glories

"To boast of a performance which I cannot beat is merely stupid vanity. And if I can beat it that means there is nothing special about it. What has passed is already finished with. What I find more interesting is what is still to come." Emil Zatopek

For the umpteenth time I am again trying to get back into shape, and sitting here typing with my sore aching limbs, the thoughts of past times and glories are never far from mind. Unfortunately the medals hanging behind my computer desk act a constant reminder, especially now that some are beginning to rust!
The "What's the point even trying?" philosophy never far away from my mind. How can I ever compete with the 9 1/2 stone 19 year old me, who would run 10K in the morning and then another 10K in the evening? The same person who would go out four a 4 hour run, just because!

Then I have a good dose of perspective, my goal is to improve tomorrow on where I am today.
The times themselves are irrelevant and more a symptom of my continual improvement. I will set my self challanging but realistic goals such as my sub 2 hr half, which I will then reassess as my training continues.

Either that or take up "egg and spoon" racing witht he view of getting some new PB's!

No comments: