Tuesday, May 13, 2008

An Overweight Runner's Story So Far

Well to say i'm an overweight runner is possibly a slight understatement. The tipping point came two weeks ago when the scales were hitting 16st(224lb), with me at the mere height of 5ft 9 inches and at the relatively prime age 27 years, it was all too much. The likelihood of growing another 3 feet in height, it is safe to say, is pretty unlikely. So something had to give!

The solution...the only one i know... ditch the booze...ditch the full fat fizzy pop..and enter the half-marathon. So I have until the 7th September 2008, to get myself in shape and run the Glasgow half-marathon. I've run it a couple of times in the past at various weights and fitness levels.

The first in 1999, when it was the Irn-Bru XS Great Scottish run, the reason was again to lose weight. So in the space of 4-6 months or there abouts, i went from, "the not so heavy now",12st down to about 9 1/2 st(a bit on the light side!). I used to do a fair bit of club running in my early teens so the level of training required was not unexpected. I went from not having run for a few years, to running twice a day 5 days a week + regular gym work...I was pretty ripped by the end!

So in 1999, at the age of 18, i was running 37.30 10Ks and finished the half marathon in around 1hr 47mins (the first 5 miles,far too fast, in a mere 28mins). Something had to give and it did....

Chondromalacia patellae - Runners Knee. It got to the stage where i was at physio twice weekly and unable to walk less than 100m without having to kneel down "pop my knee back in". No more running!

By April 2000 I was 12.5 stone and for the next few years the weight gain showed no signs of slowing, i was back boozing and over-eating. I first broke the 15st barrier in 2002, and didn't really do much about it. Until, many years later...

The second half marathon in 2005. The fresh'n' lo Great Scottish Run. Now by this time married and doing a wee bit running, a few 5ks per week. My wife decided with about 6 weeks before the race that she fancied running a half-marathon. It was an epic struggle with regards to training, but we finally made it through in 2hrs 30mins. Though my 13st frame left my knees screaming in pain for many days!

I should have maintained the training after the race, but didn't!

So here I am back at it again!

No comments: