Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Overtraining + The Performance Curve

My gym in the morning and run in the evening regime couldn't last. Over the past three days I clocked up 11 miles not including the gym sessions. Yesterday's run can only be described as the "super plods", with my 5K times being 1.5mins then 3mins slower over the past two days. Even though my time was slower, my heart rate was elevated and struggling to drop below 180bpm during my runs, always a good sign I've overdone it! And to top it all off my right knee and right shin were not tip-top to say the least.

On the plus side, if there is one, is that my weight has dropped to 14st 10lbs, and i plan to take the next two days off, to allow my tired limbs to recover.

So I'm hoping that "Super Compensation Phase" will take me right through till September's Half-marathon! OK that might be wishful thinking, but a couple of days off should do me some good. Though I'm running out of time rather quickly ahead of the Men's Health 10K on the 17th June!

I'm planning to get 3 hill sessions done before then, with a view to boosting my speed without putting too much impact on my knees! Though I think my best speed work would be shifting another 10lbs before then!

No comments: