Monday, June 2, 2008

First Sub 1hr 10K round the valley of fatigue

I was initially planning to take a day off from running today on account of me still felling pretty run down after Saturday's sluggish performance.

But I finally bit the bullet and ran my first 10K(6.21 miles) of the year, though I didn't feel too great, I managed to clock 59:14s.

Instead of satisfaction I was actually left feeling a tad disappointed, it is probably the slowest 10K I have ever clocked. The enormity of knocking 22 mins from that time seems like an impossibility. And the 56 mins I am aiming for, for the Men's health 10K on the 15 June, a mere 13 days away, is going to be tough!

I have a track session planned for tomorrow, and a few hill reps of Arthur's Seat planned for Wednesday. Both of these should help improve my speed, but I am now also aware of the need to run at least another two 10K s prior to the race.
At my weigh in the scales were showing 14st 6lbs, so I am also desperate to shift those 6lbs ahead of the race. If ("that's a big if") I can shift that weight, then a 56min 10K shouldn't be too much of a problem.

No comments: